Friday, May 9, 2008

Polynesian & Contemporary - 1972

Here's the last set of photos I have from my parents honeymoon to Walt Disney World in June 1972. Most of these shots are pretty unremarkable but this first one is pretty cool...

Before Space Mountain, the Contemporary Resort is in plain sight from the Magic Kingdom. You can still see the Contemporary from the park to this day, but without Space Mountain the resort almost sits right in the Magic Kingdom park. I guess it's architectural style fits in with the original look of Tomorrowland. Also, check out the (in-use) station for the Sky Way in the background. Nowadays, the Sky Way is gone but that building lives on as the world's largest building to house regular sized rest rooms.


Here's some shots of the Polynesian Village (as it was known then.)



6 comments:

FoxxFur said...

Nice picture you have there of the China Seas - an asian junk ship which doubled as a floating night club - anchored at the Poly there.

Princess Fee said...

Wow - I love looking at old pics of the resorts, thank you for these!

Ryan P. Wilson said...

These are fantastic Ed! It always amazes me, looking back at the photos of yesterday, how much the landscaping/plant life has filled in since Walt Disney World opened.

Unknown said...

Ed...great shots...

Foxx, I can't nelieve you beat me to the China Seas! I was so excited when I saw the picture come through the feed reader.

;)

Disneyana World said...

Ditto on the excitement of the China Seas!

I just read about it in David Koenig's book, Realityland.

Too bad the Contemporary is currently being invade by the ugly DVC Kingdom Tower.

FoxxFur said...

I may not be writing much recently but at least I'm good for something!

Realityland is taking all the fun out of being able to identify stuff like the China Seas, which I've known about for years but never had a good exterior view of. Gotta keep the rest of the obscure stuff I've memorized a secret, like the location of every original 1971 bench!